Wednesday 24 July 2013

20-22nd July 2013, A grey but fine weekend

I was looking forward to last weekend, a hot sunny week led to high expectations and I had a good walk on Rombald's Moor planned for Saturday.

With my camera cleaned and charged and a kind offer of a lift at both ends of the walk to save me some unnecessary road plodding all looked good. Some high white and grey cloud persisted but the forecast was for the sun to break through before too long and I began my walk at Keighley Gate.

Some days, despite all my fieldcraft practice, all I seem able to do is disturb wildlife no matter how much care I take! As I set out along side the wall red grouse took to the air in every direction, their noisy flight seeming to mock me, good job I was in an optimistic mood.

Eventually I found a willing model, a lovely meadow pipit, a theme that was to continue all the walk!

There is lots of cotton grass at the moment...


The conditions have been wonderful for butterflies, a small tortoiseshell...

The meadow pipits were either feeling sorry for me or oblivious to whatever clumsiness was making the grouse flee :-))


Some of the patches of cotton grass were so dense I could try some variations in focal length..


The sun was finding gaps in the cloud now and again, a gentle breeze blew and the day was far from unpleasant.

A rest break on a handy rock brought me a lovely neighbour, yes a meadow pipit again!


There are good markers to the strength of the wind up here...

I am gaining more knowledge about butterflies but needed help from a friend to confirm that this a wall brown..



A large white settled momentarily...

A hover fly...

Another small tortoiseshell...

And a ringlet and small tortoiseshell sharing a flower...

A good walk and I was happy with how I coped with the weight of the new camera plus backpack on a decent walk in warm conditions.

On Sunday afternoon we drove up to Malham to meet the RSPB team, it is nearly the end of their stint for the year. Three successfully fledged peregrine falcon chicks is testimony to their work, let alone the hosts of other birds they help people to see and identify.

On the way up to the viewpoint we spotted a grey heron near the beck...

Near the viewpoint a lovely redstart posed on a tree stump...

A grey wagtail gathered food for its family...

I spotted house martins taking a sip of water in the edge of the beck, although this first shot was a complete accident as the bird took off straight at me...


Another grey wagtail shot...

A greenfinch on the RSPB feeders...

And one of the adult peregrines made an appearance, the nature of the sky made my photographs silhouettes though...


The grey heron was still there as we returned to the car...


Family jobs limited my time on Monday but I had sufficient to allow a short moorland walk, perhaps my luck or skill with the red grouse would have changed....

Still finding meadow pipits...

Near the end of my wander things changed :-))

And that evening a fine moon too..........

The change in the weather and the ensuing thundery conditions have meant no further midweek expeditions but maybe things will improve again next week.

Many thanks to all who read and enjoy, thanks also if you wish to add a comment....don't forget though that comments come to me first for approval..........

4 comments:

  1. Some great shots Dave. The Meadow Pippets are real characters

    Freddie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for more lovely photos.
    I've set the bee on the thistle as my wallpaper. It replaces the chaffinch I had on there before which was spectacular. I love your British birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some excellent shots again. So glad that you're getting so much fun from your new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A delightful wander with some good shots, meadow pipets obviously took a fancy to you, lovely birds aren't they . . . Handsome grouse at the end to keep you contented, Great butterfly shots, pleased it is a good yeafor them, it certainly wasn't during our last wet summer.

    ReplyDelete