Wednesday 9 October 2013

5/6th October 2013, A couple of local walks

Jobs at home limited the opportunities for walks this week, when time is short I find it best to stick with what I know and with that in mind I got dropped off for a walk back to Silsden from Rombald's Moor. The moor sits neatly between Wharfedale and Airedale and offers good views over both on a good day, plus long distance views of many other areas.

Red grouse must have been the first moorland birds I became aware of, living next to the moor in my early childhood and not too far away nowadays I have grown to love their quirky nature. I can do nothing about the ritual slaughter which begins on the 12th August every year, though I do tend to take a walk just before then to "encourage" as many as possible away from shooting areas!

Being close to them all my life has taught me how to approach quite closely, on days when my fieldcraft is up to scratch, here a female just breaks cover in the heather...


My chosen route included a stretch of dark woodland, not much grows here but this year fungi are very evident...


Out on the open moorland again I managed to stalk quite near to a male red grouse..


The light was quite dull for photography but the walk was enjoyable, I descended towards Ilkley to pick up a good path back towards Silsden. A good decision as it turned out, another male with the winter moult on the lower stomach and legs was standing on top of a prominent rock...



I was just manouvering a little closer when some unwanted intrusion from a couple of crows had the inevitable result...


Resuming my wander I passed through some pasture land, the fungi here were somewhat different...


And to end the days photographs a grand view over Silsden towards Pendle Hill as I descended from the tops...


Sunday saw us with a couple of hours to spare for a walk, with this time frame the wander through Strid Woods at Barden is a firm favourite.


An awareness of life all around us and not just in the sky meant this little fella at least escaped from our footfall!

More fungi, another different sort and this time a tree is their home...


I was on the lookout for dippers, as usual, some mid to long distance sightings but into the sun and not good for photographs. As luck would have it in the darkest and most poorly lit part of the walk we had a really close sighting, I adjusted the camera quickly and tried to keep as still as I could, hand held shots are quite tough with a heavy lens...





Not pin sharp but in the circumstances I was quite pleased with the set, hope you like them too.

In equally murky light we saw some mandarin ducks, the shots of those were not so successful but to show that I do not take myself too seriously...

The walk was as enjoyable as ever...

The coming weekend will see us up in North East Scotland for a week, a wifi connection at our chosen cottage may enable regular updates, fingers crossed.

Many thanks to all who take a look, it is much appreciated...

1 comment:

  1. Great grouse and dipper photos, not forgetting the hairy caterpillar !

    ReplyDelete