Monday 5 October 2015

Late summer sightings

An apology to begin the blog, this update was outstanding when we left for the Spain trip and my eagerness to compile that report while it was fresh in my mind overtook the need for a natural order of sequence!

Summer continued in a frustrating way, a couple of warm days followed by a similar spell of cooler wetter weather, not ideal for bird watching or photography so trips out had to be carefully planned, or alternatively gear thrown together hastily when the forecast was wrong, not an infrequent experience!

Fortunately Wharfedale is only a short drive away and I can pop over on a regular basis to see the lovely dippers...

Up at Malham and with peregrine sightings getting scarce as the youngsters dispersed I was looking for another bird, the beautiful spotted flycatcher...


Young robins are a real delight to see...

A few days later I was alerted to the presence of the exotic bee eaters nesting near Carlisle, Cumbria and we decided to drive northwards to try and see them.

A bit of research about the location made the drive relatively easy, a well planned operation by the RSPB made searching for the birds unnecessary....we were about 150 yards away from a starling sized bird so the photographs are poor...but you will get an idea of the splendid colours...


A few days later my bird watching mate Gary got in touch asking if I was interested in going to Blacktoft Sands reserve near Goole, rare Montagu's harriers had bred there so yes indeed and another long trip ensued.

It was a lovely sunny day near the east coast and soon after settling in to our first hide we spotted some marsh harriers with more slender birds in among them, these were the adult Montagu's, a great first sighting for the day.

Not too long after the single juvenile flew quite near us...

Later in the day it appeared again, seemingly fascinated by its own reflection it kept hitting the water where that appeared, a wonderful experience to behold...




A great day!

Nearer home the little grebes at Rodley are always a delight...

As are the various dragon and damselflies...


Our local red kite site has been reliable, up to seven flying at one time and plenty of other birds about to enjoy as well.


We love to walk on the local moors, some days we see little but the peace and quiet is wonderful and there are usually red grouse around...


Back in Wharfedale again, I was wandering along the riverbank when a flash of blue sped by, kingfisher but I was too slow to pick it up through my binoculars to track it. A few seconds later another one appeared and this time I managed to follow the fast flight to where it had landed.

Making my way carefully closer I immersed myself in the long foliage on the banking and waited...and waited!

After a good feed kingfishers can be amazingly inactive for a long time but eventually my patience was rewarded, not close shots but great to see.




I have managed to forge good friendships with a few local birders, they trust my care when taking photographs and I contribute to the local knowledge of sightings I encounter...trust is a very important element.

Barn owls are a long term project for me, a good site locally was passed on a while ago but unfortunately I have had insufficient time to attend regularly, one visit got me some decent results in poor light.


Very near home I managed to spot one of local sparrowhawks taking a break in a tree, it knew I was there though!


Another stint at the red kite site............ I got a buzzard!

And of course red kite...


I hope you enjoy the words and photographs, the world of nature sometimes reduces me to tears of joy...sometimes the days are long and the rewards are few but patience is the key, the love of wildlife will keep pushing me out, kind weather is good but not essential!

Many thanks to all who read, don't forget if you do comment they come to me first for moderation.


2 comments:

  1. Great blog Dave. I thoroughly enjoyed all of your sightings. Lovely to see the Kingfisher with a fish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to have joined you and Josie again at Malham, what a good day we had, even if the elusive peregrine failed to materialise. Once again, a glorious selection of local birds. Lovely to see your Barn Owl in flight and your Kingfisher. The pretty spotted flycatcher was lovely, was that when we were with you ?

    ReplyDelete